A message from the Executive Director, Leanna Kemp
A glance at what lies ahead for 2019;
As mentioned in January, The Chilliwack Chamber of Commerce shared the following areas of focus for 2019;
- Initiating important dialogue around relevant topics to Chilliwack with our Community Leaders. Join us monthly for our Coffee & Conversation Series with one of our local leaders. In January we hosted Mayor Ken Popove. Ken was able to give us an update on the following topics:
- Integrated Case Management Team
- Update on The Downtown Chilliwack expansion project and what is to come
Join us on:
-February 13th, 2019 for a conversation with MP Mark Strahl
-March 14th, 2019 for a conversation with John Martin
See our website for registration details.
- Continuous Learning and Professional Development: we have a series of Lunch & Learn topics surrounding what’s new and relevant to both businesses and our community.
Stay tuned for dates for the Upcoming Lunch & Learns
- Tax Planning
- Digital Marketing
- Retail Landscape
- Housing and Homelessness
- Mental Well- Being
Stay connected on the Chilliwack Chamber of Commerce website at www.chilliwackchamber.com for all the details regarding current and upcoming events.
Our ‘Signature’ Events:
These events continue to grow and get bigger and better each year:
Save the Date for International Women’s Day on March 8th, 2019-
2019 Business on the Green is June 13, 2019. Registration will open February 20th at 10am! Don’t miss it as the spots fill up fast! Sponsorship Opportunities are available, please contact Leanna Kemp for information firstname.lastname@example.org
The Chilliwack Chamber is very excited about our new partnership with the Sto:lo Business Association. Together we hosted an amazing networking event in January with great food, entertainment and networking. Stay tuned for more events like this throughout the year. Our next collective event will be a Business Showcase, featuring Indigenous and Non-Indigenous Businesses from Chilliwack and our surrounding communities. Stay tuned for more information.
Women’s Leadership Collective:
This is one area of growth the Chilliwack Chamber of Commerce will embark on this year. The goal is to create and inclusive program that works to promote increased diversity in the Chilliwack and B.C. business communities. We are looking to spearhead several initiatives to embrace diversity and support the elevation of women in leadership positions. Chilliwack’s Women’s Leadership Collective will make strides to connect, support and advocate for women in business, because business truly thrives when women are fully engaged at all levels. For more information contact Leanna Kemp at email@example.com
Our member features for the month are the cohost and sponsors for February’s Chamber Connections and both 2018 Business Excellence Award recipients.
Metric Civil Contractors Ltd: Recipient of the 2018 Young Entrepreneur Award
Metric Civil Contractors Ltd. is a COR-certified excavation, civil and environmental contractor located in Chilliwack, B.C. Currently serving all areas of Western Canada, Metric offers a full range of civil-contracting services including earthworks, underground utility mains and services, roadworks, demolition and detailed work for new construction. We pride ourselves on a strong work ethic and attention to detail and as a company are continually reinvesting in our employees and equipment to assure that we are providing the absolute best to our clients. Our mission at Metric Civil Contractors is simple; to build and maintain honest relationships without compromising quality, safety or schedule.
Coast Chilliwack Hotel: Courtnee Poirier, The Catering and Banquet Manager at Coast Chilliwack Hotel, was the recipient of the 2018 Employee of the Year Award.
Not only is the Coast Chilliwack Hotel surrounded by the awe-inspiring beauty of rivers, parks, and mountains, you’ll also have all the amenities of modern life at your fingertips. They’re located in downtown Chilliwack. Their newly renovated hotel features meeting space for friendly gatherings and corporate events with a great team to ensure everything is just right.
They also feature Preston’s Restaurant + Lounge, the ideal location for lunch, after-work drinks, dinner with family and friends, or brunch on our gorgeous pond-side patio. They use local and seasonal ingredients to create a menu that is innovative and refreshing. Their goal is to bring you food from the farm to your table using fresh and locally grown ingredients in all of their recipes. What we don’t make in-house is sourced from local artisans to bring you the quality and flavour of the West Coast.
Welcome to our Newest Members:
- Metric Civil Contractors Ltd.
- U-lock Mini Storage
- Quiklevel Contracting Ltd.
- Reclaimed Massage Therapy Health and Wellness
- World Gym Athletics – Chilliwack
- HP Sweets Ltd. DBA Sticky’s Garrison
- Prime Signs Inc
- BC Urban Wine Club
Upcoming in February:
- February 13th – Coffee & Conversations with MP Mark Strahl: Join us from 730am to 830am
- February 26th – AGM & Chamber Connections: Election of our Board of Director vacant Positions will be taking place at the Coast Chilliwack Hotel and our members are invited and encouraged to attend and be part of the election process. Then join us at Preston’s for our Chamber Connections for the month.
- February 27th – Pink Shirt Day / Anti-Bullying Day: The Chilliwack Chamber Staff will be supporting this cause by wearing pink and hosting a “Member Engagement Day” where we will visit some participating members here in Chilliwack with delicious treats. If you and your team plan to wear pink that day, let us know and we will pay you a visit.
- March 8th– Women | Work| WellBeing – An International Women’s Day Celebration: Join us March 8th from noon to 3pm at the Coast Chilliwack Hotel for a celebratory luncheon, hear two local speakers share their stories and enjoy some time mingling with the many great women in our community.
2018 Business Excellence Award Winners by Category:
Business of the Year – The Book Man
Community Engagement – Frankie’s Italian Kitchen and Bar
Development Excellence – Emil Anderson Construction (EAC) Ltd.
Dining Excellence – Shandhar Hut
Directors Award – Sean Reid
Inclusive Employer – Denbow
Employee of the Year – Courtnee Poirier
Manufacturing Excellence – Langley Concrete Group of Companies
New Business of the Year – Restorative Health
Not for Profit/Service Award – Chilliwack Bowls of Hope Foundation
Professional Services Award- Craven Huston Powers Architects
Recreation, Leisure & Hospitality Award – Cultus Lake Golf Club
Retail Excellence – The Town Butcher
Stan Rogers Legacy Award – Brian Minter
Sustainability Excellence – PickEco Refills
Young Entrepreneur of the Year – Metric Civil